...fighting visual illiteracy throughout the known universe...

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

My ever-expanding Horror list...

Yes it's that time of year again, the time where we shove our faces with candy corn, die our hair, put on a mask and becoming the ghoulish creatures we really are. This personally is my favorite time of year. I've grown up on horror movies watching one almost every Saturday night for the past few years back home with my brother and best friends. I've also collected an obscene amount of Halloween decorations back home where I created a yearly haunted house or Halloween display.

An example can be seen down here:

Anyways, aside that...I am a horror movie enthusiast and have created a list of some of the scariest horror movies and some of the most entertaining ones in the last 50 years...(I tried to avoid things on the syllabus because I haven't seen them yet) All of which are MUST sees and brilliant for what they are. The following list was composed by myself and several horror movie fiend friends and have been assembled into the collection because they have a strong: original story, cinematography/artistic value, they may conform to the classic clichés, they’ve pushed the genre forward, and/or they have a good scare value to them.

Enjoy and Happy Haunting! :D



Serial Killers:

Halloween – 1978

Halloween II – 1981

Halloween H20 – 1998

(We pretend the others never happened okay?)

Se7en – 1995

Friday the 13th – 1980

Nightmare on Elm Street - 1984

Scream – 1996

The Silence of the Lambs – 1991

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - 2003

Demons:

The Excorcist - 1973

Psycho/Psychological:

The Shinning – 1980

Misery – 1990

Psycho – 1960

Gothika – 2003

Saw – 2004

Carrie – 1976

The Sixth Sense - 1999

Vampires:

Let the Right One In – 2008

The Lost Boys - 1987

30 Days of Night – 2007

Fright Night – 1985

Monsters:

Trick R' Treat – 2007

Jaws – 1975 (yes it’s also an adventure movie but it’s a classic so work with me here!)

Hellraiser - 1987

Werewolves:

An American Werewolf in London - 1981

Silver Bullet - 1985

Cursed – 2003

Zombie Movies:

Dawn of the Dead – 1978 / 2004

Night of the Living Dead - 1968

28 Days Later – 2002

The Crazies – 2010

Haunted House:

Poltergeist – 1982

Amityville Horror - 2005

Haunting in Conneticut - 2009

Other:

Children of the Corn - 1984

Mirrors – 2008

Dead Silence - 2007

House - 2008

The Ring – 2002

Pet Semetary - 1989

The Human Centipede – 2009 (I was forced to put this on but I’m too squeamish and afraid to watch lol)

A few classic not-so-scary movies that I couldn’t pass bringing up! ;D

These are for the faint of heart…just classics that I like to curl up on my couch with a bag of candy corn to every year. J

Sleepy Hollow – 1999

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice! - 1988

The Addams Family – 1991


Special Thanks to: My brother Nick, and second family: Alyssa, Kyle, Nancy and Dylan for their help on this! :D


What do you think? Comment below! :D

1 comment:

  1. Wow there are a lot of scary movie that I never knew existed! I think what makes a good thriller are scary movie is not just the plot and characters but the sound play a huge part. I think this is because when sound is put into a scary movie they put the suspenseful music right before something bad is going to happen or sound effects of every floor board creaking when someone is walking. Since I think I prefer not to watch scary movies for that reason alone.

    ReplyDelete