...fighting visual illiteracy throughout the known universe...

Tuesday, December 7, 2021

censorship blog

 

    Alex Hancock

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/china-bans-crypto-marvel-film-shang-chi-effeminate-men-what-ncna1279772

While we were presenting our censorship projects, I remembered someone sharing this movie. It really caught my attention and interested me because this movie just came out in September of this year (2021). It looked really good and action packed. I watched the movie trailer and I thought it was really cool and I honestly would like to watch it. As I was watching it I was thinking to myself, "why is it censored?" Turns out, this film is censored in China because, "Xi and his party want to keep China free of foreign and individualistic influences, with these crackdowns furthering his goal of greater control over all aspects of Chinese economy, culture and education." (nbcnews.com). I am still super surprised how the controlling the country of China still is. It seems as if China is still behind the times due to how they run their government and the power they have over their citizens. Even nbcnews.com stated, "They’re a sign of how increasingly difficult and elusive such government control is in a globalized economy and social media age." I just thought the censorship of this film was really interesting since it is so recent and the Chinese culture sparks my interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment