...fighting visual illiteracy throughout the known universe...

Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Propaganda Poster- Redieat Abebe


This is a propaganda piece I created last year for one of my classes. It focuses on the social issue of rhino poaching. I chose to focus on this social issue because rhinos are critically endangered. But, why should we save the rhinos? 

Rhinos play a crucial role in their ecosystem. They are grazers and consume large amounts of vegetation, which helps shape the African landscape. This benefits other animals and keeps a healthy balance within the ecosystem. Furthermore, local people depend on the natural resources within the rhino habitat for food, fuel, and income (tourism).


Rhino horns are used in traditional Asian medicine and as a status symbol. The rhino horn is made of keratin, a protein also found in human hair and fingernails. I decided to incorporate this concept into my poster by having a rhino scalping my hair with its horn. This not only makes the connection between the keratin found in rhino horns and human hair but also provokes the viewer to think of what rhinos have to go through. 

I then had the rhino be vocalized by putting a text box that says "I am not your trophy or medicine". I made my hoodie grey to symbolize the position I played as a rhino being poached. If humans were being scalped and killed for their hair to be used as medicine or a trophy, there would be severe outrage. 

My poster provokes pathos within the viewer by forcing them to put themselves in the position of the rhino. Once in that position, the viewer is able to see that my stance on this issue needs to be supported. 

No comments:

Post a Comment