...fighting visual illiteracy throughout the known universe...

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Welcome to Visual Literacy

This class will deal with the way we view and interpret much of what we see; from fine art to body language, photography to tattoos, signage to motion pictures, graffiti to graphic design, advertising to architecture to theme parks and beyond. The range is wide but the focus will narrow as we share and discuss the variety of images and works that bombard us in what seems to be a visually chaotic world.

My background is in screenwriting. Thus, cinema is my strong point. I could teach this class with a decided (over)emphasis on movies and film making. I am hoping that many of you have different interests and some expertise in other visual fields. I encourage you to share your knowledge in the context of the theories and ideas we will study for the next semester. I hope to learn along with you.

I encourage you to bring in objects, images and any visual work that will engage us in discussion. This is an ongoing request and can be folded into your required projects if you wish.

This site is our main source of communication outside of class. Participation will be partially gauged on your comments and postings here. Fill this blog up with text, links, images, videos... please! It will serve as a springboard for the stimulating discussions and arguments (the more or less civil variety) that I hope this class inspires.

A syllabus and several rubrics will follow.

Once again, welcome to class.

Best regards, Tom Hammond

No comments:

Post a Comment