...fighting visual illiteracy throughout the known universe...

Monday, November 28, 2011

My Generation

Being born in 1992 associates me with the Y generation. This span of time is known for it's fast growing workforce and advancements in technology. Growing up in a very tech-savy society, my age group is constantly being exposed to the digital world. My upbringing was drastically different from previous generations because of inventions such as the computers, cell phones, and ipods. Above all these inventions I believe the most influential product of my time is the internet. Having complete access to almost any question one can dream, is truly world changing. The people living within this era are becoming more intelligent because there are no restrictions or obstacles when searching for information. Also, having such an accessible social network allows college students to keep in touch better with their parents, and friends. Students even apply to colleges through the internet! It is also a great tool for employees to talk to one another for 24/7 immediate contact. Others believe the creation of the internet may have changed society socially for the worse, making it harder for people to engage in person rather then via facebook, skype, email, or instant messaging.

All of my friends use the internet everyday as a tool to research information, stay updated with current events, along with staying in touch with family and friends. I believe the internet is the biggest influence of my generation because it connects society in ways no other invention or event has done prior to my existence. If there is an important occurrence in the world, people are able to gain access to details almost immediately. Older generations may not be able to appreciate the internet, in fact they may think it has corrupted society, but I think it has opened opportunities for this era.

No comments:

Post a Comment