...fighting visual illiteracy throughout the known universe...

Friday, March 26, 2010

Paper #5 - Artistic Movements

For those of you who are having difficulty picking a subject or determining how to select a film that reflects an artistic movement, here is an alternative. Your grade will not be affected if you choose this option.

I am going to show a film by David Lynch on Monday and Wednesday that will reflect many of the vales and conventions found in Surrealism. Your essay, should you decide to take this route, will cover some background on the artistic movement of Surrealism, its history and philosophy, and then summarize how Lynch's film fits into this category. The purpose of this exercise is to show how methods of thought and style from one field of creative visual endeavor can take root and influence another area.

If you have already picked a topic, please share it with me before or after Monday's class, either in person or by email. The paper is due Wednesday, April 7th. Let me know if you need to schedule a one-on-one time with me. I am at your disposal. I will hand out all previous papers on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment