...fighting visual illiteracy throughout the known universe...

Monday, February 1, 2010

Bertolino what is art paper 2/1/10

Art is a very broad term that can be perceived differently from person to person. I believe art is any work that someone takes time to inject their own personal beliefs, perceptions, and talent into it. Art is any kind of work, such as a painting, sculpture, or drawing, but can also be a movie, written piece, or song. The care that is put into something that one does can create a work of art in the eyes of one person, a small group of people, or an audience of millions. One person can also argue that something is art, while another person may disagree. An example could be a plate of food that looks and tastes great to one restaurant customer, while another may send it back because it looks or tastes unlike what they expected.
Art is universal too, because it is not just a tangible project that can be categorized as art. Any ability that causes an audience to feel emotion can be classified as art, but it is the masterpieces that get so much attention, such as a Led Zeppelin song. The famous band has written and performed many classic hits over the years, and many could say that they are one of the greatest artists of all time. But against those that believe that Led Zeppelin’s art is the strongest, it very well may be a friend’s acoustic rendition of a Led Zeppelin song that causes one to be overcome with more emotion than an original recording by the band. That is the gift of art itself, the unintended sense of where to find the art that inspires each person separately.
The question of “what isn’t art?” is not defined by stating facts, but opinions. Each person may consider one work to be art, while another may disagree to the fullest extent. In my own opinion, I find true art in the traditional sense of movies, music, and writing, to name a few, while, for example, I have a harder time trying to get a feel for dance. Dancers are artists by their own definition, with many different styles and messages, but as someone who has never been involved in dance, I cannot say that I recognize dance as an instantly recognizable art form. However, I respect the opinions of those who love dance and I believe I may be in the minority when it comes to the consideration of dance as an art form.
If someone took exception to my view of something as art, I would describe my feelings the instant I first recognized the work as such. Art can be something that strikes a nerve in a human, whether it is good or bad, and my argument would be based on my raw emotions at the time of discovery. The first time I realized how great it is to watch Tom Brady stand in the pocket and play Quarterback in the NFL, I knew that I was witnessing a work of fine art. Brady works at his craft every day, and when he is on his game he is an once-in-a-lifetime work of art on the football field. However, sports fans are very opinionated, and many disagree that Brady is so great at what he does. But my greatest pleasure and favorite moments in my life as a football fan have been based on the greatness of Tom Brady with the New England Patriots, and I will always describe how amazing it was, watching him lead the team to three championships, to defend my reasoning for why his play at quarterback is true art.

1 comment:

  1. I like your statement that Brady "works at his craft every day." For most of us, art emerges from craft. We learn the craft so closely and well that when we are "on our game", art emerges. If I have ever created a work of art, it has been when I have been involved in my craft to the exclusion of all else. I'm interested in your statement that "the gift of art is the unintended sense of where to find it." I'm still thinking this one over.

    ReplyDelete